history of the Department
Department of Neurology, Psychiatry, Narcology and Medical Psychology was founded on July 15th, 2005 due to the reorganization and consolidation of the Department of neurology and psychiatry with general and medical psychology.
The history of the Department of Neurology, Psychiatry, Narcology and Medical Psychology
The Department of Neurology was established on October the 1rst, 1958 on the base of Neurological department (the last one included 50 beds) in Ternopil regional hospital.
The founder of the Department was Professor Olexander Adriyanovych Yarosh
- an outstanding Ukrainian scientist, neurologist, the author of about 400 scientific works devoted to the different problems in neurology. The priority research direction of the Department headed by Professor O.A. Yarosh from 1958 to 1968, was studying of the processes of de- and regeneration of nervous trunks, peculiarities of clinical picture and treatment of multiple sclerosis and syringomyelia.
The first staff of the Department consisted of the head of Department O.A. Yarosh, PhD A. Shulha and laboratory assistant V. Hrebelkina. Next generation of staff incuded PhD M.M. Ishchenko (1960), Ya.M. Komorovska (1967), A.M. Dorohyy (1968), E.O. Nechay (1968), I.V. Veselskiy (1970), A.M. Yuschenko (1971), S.I. Shkrobot (1980), I.I. Gara (1994), Z.V. Saliy (1997), O.Y. Budarna (2003), N.R. Sohor (2004), L.S. Milevska-Vovchuk (2007), M.S. Mysula (2009), senior anatomist Galina Shust (1969), senior laboratory assistant Elena Vasilyuk (1970), lab. assistant N.M. Badikova (2005).
In 1969 the department was headed by Professor M.M. Ishchenko.
During the following years the staff of the Department headed by M.M. Ishchenko productively studied the influence of vasoactive, cardiotonic drugs on systemic and cerebral hemodynamics in case of stenosis of the main arteries of head in patients with cerebral blood circulation disorders. The method of hemodynamic monitoring and treatment of ischemic cerebral blood circulation disorders at occlusive stenosis of main arteries of head (1992), the method of ischemic cerebrovascular disorders’ treatment by means of calcium antagonists and antiplatelet drugs (1993-1998) were developed and implemented in public health practice of 15 regions in Ukraine. The priority of these scientific developments was confirmed by the patent for invention (1997). Under the leadership of professor Ishchenko, the department staff and physicians of Ternopil clinical municipal psyconeurological hospital studied problematic aspects of multiple sclerosis. Due to the initiative of prof. M.M. Ischenko, Ph.D. S.I. Shkrobot introduced ultrasound Dopplerography method for diagnostics of cerebral arteries lesions for the first time in Ukraine (1980). Before she was trained in the I rst Moscow Medical University.
M.M. Ischenko became a teacher for the whole cohort of doctors-neurologists.
Under his supervision was performed
• 1 doctoral thesis (Shkrobot S.I.)
• 12 PhD theses (Shevchuk M.T., Degtyar V.V., Makohonchuk M.A., N.D. Lobanov, Blinov N.S., Hrechuh A.V., Shkrobot S.I., Lobas A.V., Ostrovska O.S., Hara I.I., Vakulenko L.A., Holyachenko A.O.)
25 medical residents improved their professional skills. Most of them now work within the walls of our hospital as doctors and the head of clinical Departments.
In June 1998, the Department of neurology was headed by Doctor of med. sciences, Professor Svitlana Shkrobot.
Continuing the glorious scientific traditions of the Department, the staff began to investigate new acute problems of modern neurology, such as the causes and mechanisms of neurological disorders at osteochondrosis, improvement of its methods of treatment, optimizing the treatment of acute and chronic cerebral blood circulation disorders, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease according to the state of bone mineral density.
The result of these studies was described in 7 protected PhD theses.
The title of Assistant Professor was awarded to PhD Dorohyy A.M. (1983), S.I. Shkrobot (1995), Z.V. Saliy (2003), I.I. Hara (2004), A.Y., Budarna (2011), N.R. Sokhor (2011).
The title of Professor was awarded to Doctor of Med. Sciences S.I. Shkrobot in 2003, and the honorary title of Honored Scientist of Ukraine was awarded to S.I. Shkrobot in 2006.
The Department of Psychiatry
The Department of Psychiatry was organized in August 22nd 1959. Its clinical base was inpatient department of regional psychoneurological clinic for 25 beds.
The founder of the Department was Associate Professor Vasyl Lastovetskyy, who in 1961 defended his doctoral thesis, and in 1962 was awarded the title of professor. He was the Head of the Department until 1973. During this period the Department developed greatly in different directions (ideological, educational, methodical, scientific, clinical consultation etc.). V.V. Lastovetskyy was a high-educated man, an excellent diagnostician.
From August 1973 to June 1975 the Department was headed by Dr. med. Science B.M. Kutsenok. He did much for the design of the Department, organization and further improvement of the teaching work, enhance scientific research and activity of students’ scientific society. For this period is typical interesting scientific work and high activity of students’ scientific society.
The first assistant of the Department since 1959 was Raisa Savelivna Romas. In 1974 she became assistant professor, in 1975 – the Head of the Psychiatry course at the Department of Neurology. Raisa Saveliyivna Romas’ scientific interests included problems of alcoholism, preventive psychiatric care, general promotion of healthy lifestyle.
Since 1990 the head of psychiatry course was Victor V. Degtyar who actively implemented the latest achievements in treatment of alcoholism and alcoholic psychosis.
Since 1995 the teacher of psychiatry course had been S.V. Bilous. From June 1998 he worked as Associate Professor. Under his leadership, the staff of psychiatry course actively introduced new teaching programs in medical psychology, medical ethics and deontology, psychiatry for nurses.
The staff of the Department in different years included:
• teachers N. A. Savelieva (1963)
• V. T. Yashchuk (1973)
• V. V. Degtyar (1974)
• L. Alhimova (1977)
• Y. M. Nesterovych (1989)
• S. Belous (1995)
• R. M. Hnatiuk (1998)
• O. P. Wenger (1999)
• Laboratory assistants A. Dobrovolska (1975-2006)
• M. M. Patrosh (1962-1998)
• senior technicians and anatomist B.V. Sonsyadyk, M. Maksimov, V. Hlushyk, A. Paslavskyi, Z. Hnatyshyn, R. Plyutynska, V. Milashevska, M. Rudakova.
In 1999 by Ministry of Public Health in Ukraine the Department of Psychiatry with general and medical psychology was opened at Medial Academy. In 1999 the head of this Department became a unique in its professional and human qualities, Doctor of Medical Sciences, professor Oleg Chaban. Since then, the focus of scientific work in the Department was focused on studying of endogenous psychoses in dynamic psychiatry. 1 doctoral thesis and 2 PhD thesis were defended during this period. O.S. Chaban put many efforts in order to improve scientific, clinical work of the Department, put it on a new modern level. Under the direction of O.S. Chaban the scientific work of the Department became a part of complex scientific and methodical programs of Ukrainian Research Institute of Clinical and Experimental Neurology and Psychiatry (Kharkiv), implemented progressive psychotherapeutic techniques; improved equipment. Since 1999 assistant of the Department became Venger O.P. In 2004 she became Associate Professor and in 2006 – she became the head of the course of Psychiatry, Narcology and Medical Psychology. The research interests includes pathomorphosis of drug abuse and mental diseases, neurotic disorders, bone mineral density in patients who were treated by neuroleptics, psychosomatic diseases, post-traumatic stress disorder.
The staff of the department has successfully defended 9 theses, including 2 doctoral and 7 PhD ones.
The current staff consists of the head of the department Doctor of med. Sciences, Honored Scientist of Ukraine, prof. S.I. Shkrobot, associate prof. Z.V. Saliy, O.Yu. Budarna, N.R. Sohor, O.P. Venher, Ya.M. Nestorovych, L.S. Milevska-Vovchuk, O.Y. Smashna, assistant teachers Ph.D. L.M. Sas, T.P. Huseva, M.S. Mysula, Yu.I. Mysula, O.O. Kostina, V. Bilous, laboratory assistants N.M. Badikova and N.M. Polischuk, aftergraduate students L.O. Sahaydak, M.I. Saliy.
The head of the Department: Professor Shkrobot S.I.
– Honored Scientist of Ukraine (2006), the active member of Ukrainian Academy of Economic Cybernetics (2006), Doctor of Science (2002), Professor (2003), neurologist of the highest category, an English speaking teacher. Prepared 8 PhD scientists (Z.V. Saliy, O.A. Tokarchuk, Yu.A. Dorohyy, N.R. Sohor, O.Yu. Budarna, L.S. Milevska-Vovchuk, Al Hashim Ahmed, Mysula M.S.). She is the author of more than 350 scientific works, 7 patents, author and co-author of 7 books, CD "Vascular diseases of the brain and spinal cord", 3 methodological recommendations approved by the Ministry of Public Health in Ukraine, 4 newsletters, and innovations in the practice of public health, 16 rational proposals. She was trained and improved her skills in leading clinics of Europe Russia (Moscow, 1981), France (Paris, 2004), Austria (Vienna, 2005), Denmark (Copenhagen, 2006), the Netherlands (Amsterdam , Maastricht, 2007), Austria (Salzburg, 2008).
S.I. Shkrobot is the chairwoman of Ternopil regional center of Scientific Society of neurologists, psychiatrists and narcologists, the head of regional center of the whole Ukrainian Scientific Society against stroke, a member of the Specialized Academic Council at Kyiv National Academy of Postgraduate Education, the member of qualification Commission at Regional management of Public Health, a member of the editorial board of 3 medical journals "Ukrainian Neurological Journal" and "International neurological journal", "Achievements of practical and experimental medicine." She was awarded by diplomas of the Ministry of Public Health in Ukraine, regional state Administration.
Substitute of the head of the Department; subject “Neurology” – Saliy Zoya Vasylivna
- PhD (2001), assistant professor (2003). Z.V. Saliy has been working at the department since 1997, after graduating from clinical studies and post-graduate courses. She is the author of 115 publications, including 2 textbooks, 4 innovations, co-author of three textbooks, neurologist of the highest category. Currently she is working on doctoral thesis.
Hara Inna Ivanivna
- PhD (1994), assistant professor (2005-2013). I.I. Hara had been working at the Department since 1994 after clinical studies. She is the author of 103 publications, co-author of three books, CD "Vascular diseases of the brain and spinal cord," 1 newsletter and 1 innovation in public health practice, 7 rational proposals, 1 patent, neurologist of the highest category, an English-speaking teacher.
Budarna Olena Yuriyivna
- PhD (2005), assistant professor (2011). She graduated from magister- studies and clinical internship at the Department of Neurology. Author and co-author of 59 publications, including 49 scientific and 10 educational-methodical, 1 patent for invention, innovation in the State Register, 1 innovative proposal. She is neurologist of the highest category, an English-speaking teacher.
Sokhor Nataliya Romanivna
– After graduation from magister studies, clinical studies and after graduate studies (2000-2004) she works as an Associate Professor (2011), an English-speaking teacher. Since 2004 she has been PhD. Author and co-author of 57 publications, including 1 textbook, has 1 patent for invention, innovation in the State Register, rational proposal. Neurologist of the highest category. Currently she is working on the doctoral thesis.
Substitute of the head of the Department; subject “Psychiatry” – Venger Olena Petrivna
The first staff of the Department consisted of the head of Department O.A. Yarosh, PhD A (1958-1968)
The head of Department I.I.Ischenko, PhD A (1969-1998)
Prof. I.I.Ischenko on his working place (1976)
The head of Department prof. Shkrobot S.I. from 1998
As.Shkrobot S.I. (1981)
Department of psychiatry (1958)
Department of neurology (1998)
Department of neurology (2012)
As. Saliy Z.V.(2011)
Scientific conference in Vienna (2005)
Department of neurology (2005)